A communication of the Lakota West Upbeat Club
This communication covers:
- Taste for Music fundraiser on Wednesday, January 25th
- Try Band Open House on Saturday, January 28th
- High School Solo & Ensemble Contest on Saturday, February 11th
- Winter Guard
- Upbeat Club Meetings
- Open Upbeat Club Positions
- For the Calendar
Taste For Music
Our next Taste for Music fundraiser is on Wednesday, January 25th from 11am – 9pm at Tom and Chee’s at 9328 Union Centre Blvd.
Click here for flyer. You will want to print it and bring to the restaurant to help support the Lakota West Bands. Please share with your family and friends!
Try Band Open House, Lakota Freshman School
Try Band is Saturday, January 28th at Lakota West Freshman School from 9:30am – 12pm.
We are having an open house for 5th and 6th grade students to come and Try Band! High School students will be on hand to demonstrate and allow students to explore all the different instruments they could play in 7th grade band. They’ll even get to try the instruments! A concert by Symphonic Winds will finish out the morning. Tell your neighbors, call your friends about this once a year event they won’t want their kids to miss! Click here to view the flyer to share with neighbors and friends. Click here to sign up to be a parent greeter for the morning. We also have a few yard signs left, if you can display it this week, email email@example.com and we will get it to you.
Solo & Ensemble Contest, Lakota High School
High School Grades 9-12
- Ensemble Recital Night is Monday, February 6th from 6pm-8pm at the High School. All High School Ensembles will perform on for the Ensemble Recital night. Look for more information from Mr. Carr. This is not an ideal setting for friends and family to come and listen, as some of the ensembles will be in small practice rooms. The objective is to get used to performing and gain valuable feedback from a music educator.
- Solo and Ensemble is coming up fast on Saturday, February 11th! Please click here to sign up to volunteer and support our students. Having the “outside the room” monitor to help students know if the performance room is running ahead, behind or on-time and the “in-room assistant” to announce the student’s name and performance selection helps support our students and helps the judges give the students maximum attention. Please thoughtfully considering volunteering for a 2 hour time slot during Solo and Ensemble. We have over 800 events in 18 performance rooms to support! Service hours are available for students at the office on completion of their shift.
Junior High Schools Grades 7-8
- For list of solos, click on link here – OMEA list of Jr High suggested music selections
- Solo & Ensemble Contest for Ridge Jr students will be held on Saturday March 25th at Clinton Massie High School.
Our Winter Guards (yes we have two this year!) are working hard and preparing for upcoming competitions. Their schedule has been added to the band calendar as well as their web page on the band’s website. Click here for a list of competition dates.
- January’s meeting resulted in a vote approving the purchase of a replacement Box Truck not to exceed $25k in the near future in light of some of the equipment moves coming up with Winter Guard and District Contest.
- February’s meeting is Thursday 2/16 starting at 6:30pm with the Directors’ update and 7pm for the Upbeat Club regular meeting. All parents with band students in grades 7-12 are welcome and encouraged to join. We look forward to hearing more about the progress of our future trips during the next Director’s update.
Upbeat Club Open Volunteer Positions
- Publicity and Creative Media – Manages social media, creates event related promotional materials, handles public relations. This position can be shared between 2-3 people to allow for year round support.
- Technical Support with Web/Other – oversees specific functionality of website, and troubleshoots issues. WordPress knowledge a plus but not required.
Please contact Barb Warne for more information or to answer any questions about the positions.
For the Calendar
- Wednesday 1/25/17 – Taste For Music
- Saturday 1/28/17 – Try Band Open House
- Monday 2/6/17 – Ensemble Recital Night
- Saturday 2/11/17 – Solo & Ensemble
- Monday 2/27/17 – Winter Concert with all four high school bands
- Friday 3/3 and Saturday 3/4 – District Contest: High Schools are expected to be on Friday and Freshman band on Saturday, though still tentative.
- Saturday 3/18/17 – Music for All Cincinnati Regional Concert Band Festival – for Symphonic Winds only, at Mason High School