A Communication of the Lakota West Upbeat Club
This communication covers:
- Solo & Ensemble Contest, Thank you and Feedback Request
- Try Band
- Band Jackets
- Shamrock Shuffle
- Jazz n’ Cakes
Solo & Ensemble Contest, Thank you and Feedback Request
THANK YOU to Mike and Birgit Aaron for the years they spent helping make this day run so smoothly for the students, the Directors and the entire District 13!
A note and request from the Aarons,
On behalf of this year’s Solo & Ensemble performers, we would like to say thank you to everyone who helped to make it a successful event! Even though it was larger than last year, more students, directors, judges and with 7 more stages, our fantastic team of several hundred parents, students, directors and even parents of graduates, worked together to make this huge event go off perfectly. The ability of our team to get the job done is always impressive and this year’s event was no exception. Planning ahead to make things even better for next year, we are looking for suggestions. Please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org (incorrect email was sent out in CHARMS, please use this one) with any input about anything you feel could be improved including possible solutions. Again, thank you for your hard work, dedication, fun attitude and time this year. 2019 will be here before you know it, so watch for the Signup Genius to help make this important event another success next year.
Mike and Birgit Aaron
Try Band is Saturday January 27 from 9:30am – 12pm
Try Band is this Saturday!! This is an open house musical scavenger hunt! All west fifth or sixth graders are invited and have received an invitation flyer from the Upbeat Club. Additionally, 7 different ensembles from Symphonic Winds traveled to west elementary school this week to perform, show our amazing video (thank you Paige Kimble!) and were able to hear from one of our directors. As you may or not be aware, due to the cutbacks a few years ago from the district, 6th grade band is no longer part of the curriculum, and therefore not available to all students. Currently, some elementary schools have after school band programs, some do not, which is unfortunate and creates a challenge in many ways. The Upbeat Club has brought back the ‘Try Band’ event to expose ALL students to musical instruments in hopes to increase the enrollment in our current beginning band program, which now starts in 7th grade. Symphonic Winds students spend the morning working one on one with the students so they can try any and all the instruments they wish. A concert by Symphonic Winds at 11:30 concludes the event.
How can you help?
- Volunteer – we need a few more parents to help host the event – signup link
- Twitter: Retweet the announcement on Twitter – link to tweet here
- Facebook: (1) Please go to our Try Band Facebook event page: [link]. (2) Click on the Share button. (3) Select Invite Friends. A list of your Facebook friends will appear. (4) Select those friends with fifth and sixth graders, or who work with fifth and sixth graders. (5) Click Send Invites. That’s all! Thanks in advance for helping us promote this wonderful event!
- Posters: Have an idea on where to place a poster? email email@example.com and we’ll get it posted!
- Flyer: Print our flyer and share the old fashioned way! Click here for flyer.
We will be placing another Band Jacket order if you missed it the first time around. Look for more information on our Spiritwear Page. When online sales are open, we will let everyone know via Facebook, as well as here. Orders will be accepted for appx. two weeks.
The Shamrock Shuffle is Saturday March 17. Team Lakota West Bands is expected to once again participate to help raise fund for the bands!
There is a 5k and an 10K, a Leprechaun Lap for kids, a beer obstacle course and a Sleep In Special. The cost to register for the 5K is $38.37, kids under 15 are $15.00 and the 10K is $40.00. Go to The Shamrock Shuffle to register for the race. Click Race Registration in the top right corner. The Lakota West Upbeat Club is listed in the Charities section.
A Challenge has been extended for this year…………………..run and beat Mr Carr’s time! Can you beat his time of 29.31 minutes from last year?
Jazz n’ Cakes
Our kick-off meeting is Tuesday 1/30 at 7pm at 7686 Cincinnati Dayton Rd (Lakota Self Storage). LOTS of fun and plenty of ways to help and support. Just come and listen, no commitment necessary. The event is Saturday April 21.
Highlights from the Calendar
- Calendar – click here for link
- Saturday Jan 27 – Try Band for all West 5th or 6th graders in the morning at West Freshman School (Symphonic Winds students are needed appx 9am-1pm).
- Tuesday Jan 30 – Jazz n’ Cakes Kickoff Planning Meeting
- Thursday Feb 15 – Upbeat Meeting
- Thursday Feb 22 – Ridge Jr Band Concert
- Weekend of Feb 24 – West Musical Weekend: Shrek the Musical
- Saturday March 3 – Beavercreek Jazz Festival weekend
- Saturday March 3 – Music For All Festival -Symphonic Winds perform, Mason High School
- Monday March 5 – High School Band Concert at West
- Tuesday March 6 – Freshman Band Concert at Freshman School
- Thursday March 8 – Plains Jr Band Concert
- March 9-10 – OMEA Large Group Contest
- Thursday March 15 – Upbeat Meeting
- Saturday March 17 – Shamrock Shuffle
Any questions on the information contained in this post, you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org.