A communication of the Lakota West Upbeat Club and Directors:
This communication covers:
- MidStates Championships
- Scholarship Opportunity for Seniors
- Winterguard Auditions
- Marching Band Uniform Turn-in
- Volunteers needed
- Upbeat Club Meeting
- Lakota West Band Business Boosters
- Sponsorship Team
- Taste for Music
- Decals for Sale
MidStates Championships November 3
Schedule for the last competition was sent out through Charms by Mr. Carr on Oct 26 with the subject Video, Leadership and Championships. If you need a copy, please email email@example.com. The schedule has been copied into our band calendar for reference. Report time is 2pm, performance time is 5:45pm (tentative). Information can be found on competition website – link is here.
Dan Kenworthy Scholarship Applications due November 1
The Dan Kenworthy Scholarship is a $500 scholarship awarded to the outstanding marching band senior who best displays the following qualities both on and off the field: Dedication, Hardworking, Helpful, Supportive, Giving, Charitable, Kind, Friendly, Loving, Outgoing, Cheerful, Vivacious, Humor, and Family Oriented.
- Deadline to turn in application to Mr. Carr is Thursday Nov 1. No exceptions.
Winterguard Auditions November 5 from 6pm – 9pm at Creekside
- What is Winterguard? It is Colorguard without the band! And it is indoors! If you have not seen our Lakota West Winterguard perform, you are missing out. They had TWO teams last season- Varsity and Junior Varsity. Auditions are open to any current colorguard or marching band member, as well as eighth graders at Plains or Ridge. NO experience necessary. Please wear clothes that you can move and dance in. Rehearsals start in November and competitions run February through end of March for JV, first week of April for Varsity. For questions, please contact Shelby Adkins or Tim Coady.
- Here is a link to learn more – https://www.wgi.org/color-guard/.
Marching Uniform Turn-in is November 8
- Marching Uniform Turn In Night is immediately following the Final Concert on Thursday, November 8 in the West Band Room. ALL parkas, shakos, shako boxes, gauntlets, and color guard uniforms MUST be turned in WITHOUT exception on or by this date. If you will not be at the Final Concert, bring all turn in items to the West Band Room Uniform Closet BEFORE Nov. 8, or make arrangements with a friend who can bring them for you on Nov. 8. A list of missing uniforms will be provided to the directors on Friday 11/9.
- Seniors—We will be accepting donations of your gently used Summer Uniform Red Polo and Black Shorts if you’d like to hand them down for future band members!
- QUESTIONS? Contact Amy Koenes at 513-593-4365 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Now that the parkas have dried out, they need to be WASHED! – see signup here
- Help needed to accept uniforms as students turn them in after the concert on 11/8 – see signup here
Upbeat Meeting November 15
All parents and guardians of band students grades 7-12 are welcome to attend! Meeting will start at 6:30pm at the MAIN CAMPUS building in the band room. Note move to main campus for remainder of year. If you have questions for the Board or need to meet with them, they will be available at 6pm. Come out to see what is ahead and get your questions answered. For all Upbeat minutes, financial reports, budget and more, please go to our Upbeat web page here.
Donations for Jazz ‘n Cakes
Hey all you crafters! This is the time of year you are probably putting together some projects for the holidays. We would love to share some of your creations at this year’s Jazz ‘n Cakes on March 30. Last year we had several hand-made items in our silent auction. For more information contact email@example.com
LWBBB Meeting November 15
Lakota West Band Business Boosters (LWBBB) was formed as a way for band parents who are also local business owners to support and promote the band. The LWBBB holds monthly breakfast meetings at 8 am at the First Watch Union Centre Boulevard location on the morning of our Upbeat Club meetings (3rd Thursday of the month). For more information, contact Kevin Moorman at 604-2997.
Sponsorship Team forming
The Lakota West Upbeat Club is developing a new corporate sponsorship program for 2018. Local businesses will have the opportunity support the band in exchange for advertising on our concert program, website, and/or truck. We’re looking for a few volunteers (ideally parents of freshmen and sophomores) to help build the program. If you have a knack for graphic design, we’d love to have your help putting together our concert program for the year. Local business owners with fundraising experience or community contacts would be a great help soliciting sponsors and designing the structure of the program. Finally, if your business would be interested in sponsoring in the band, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Some of the items this group may work on include concert programs, solo & ensemble guide, potential truck wrap, senior pic keepsake, bannars, Jazz n’ Cakes placemat, video, and program, and sponsorship promotional materials. This team would work closely with the Upbeat co-presidents and communications lead.
- Do you shop at Kroger? Every time you scan your Kroger Plus Card, you could earn money for The Lakota West Bands. CLICK HERE for instructions on how to register your card/account for the first time. You will need your Kroger Plus Card or number to register. Do you use your phone number at the register? Call 800-576-4377, select option 4 to get your Kroger Plus card number.
- After registering, members must swipe their registered Kroger Plus card or use the phone number that is related to their registered Kroger Plus card when shopping for each purchase to count for the band. Thank you for supporting the Lakota West Bands!
Decals for Sale!
New decals for car windows, water mugs, notebooks or anything that needs some LW Band swag! See Deb Pizzuco at the Thursday rehearsal, or at the concert. $5.00/ea and accepting cash or check only.
For the Calendar (use link to calendar – it is where you’ll find the most up to date information)
- Link to calendar here
- Monday 10/29
- 6:30-9pm rehearsal at West Campus
- Wednesday 10/30
- 3-5:00pm rehearsal in West Parking Lot
- Thursday 11/1
- 6:30-9pm rehearsal at MAIN Campus (note new location)
- 6:30pm – BandO’Ween
- Saturday 11/3
- Band Competition in Mason – see charms email for schedule. Details also copied to caledar
- Monday 11/5
- 6-9pm – Winterguard auditions at Creekside
- Tuesday 11/6
- No School
- Thursday 11/8
- 7pm – Marching Band Concert in Main Campus Gym
- Monday 11/12
- 6pm – Lakota Jazz Concert with both West and East bands, at West
- Tuesday 11/13
- 5-9pm – Chipotle Taste for Music
- Thursday 11/15
- 8am – LWBBB Breaksfast meeting at First Watch
- 6:30pm – Upbeat Club meeting at WEST
Questions? Contact email@example.com