A communication of the Lakota West Upbeat Club and Directors:
This communication covers:
- Honor Band Auditions
- Swing Dance
- Community Conversation
- Jazz ‘n Cakes
- Taste for Music Dates
- Solo & Ensemble
- Upbeat Meeting
- Auditions for concert and jazz band students in grades 7-12 is Saturday December 1 at Fairfield Creekside Middle School.
- Audition music is linked into the event on the band calendar or here – link.
- The Honor Jazz Bands rehearsals and concert are the weekend of 1/4-1/6.
- The Honor Concert Bands rehearse Friday 1/18, Saturday 1/19 and perform Sunday January 20 at Mason High School with Middle School bands starting at 2pm and the High School Bands starting at 4pm. The High School bands also have a rehearsal Monday 1/13 to read through the music. An email came out from CHARMS on Nov 6 with more information about the Concert Band rehearsals and performance schedule. All students grades 7-12 are encouraged to try out!
The Lakota West Swing Dance is Friday, December 7, 2018 from 7:30 to 10 – less than two weeks away! This event raises funds for all concert, jazz, and marching bands as well as color guard, and each band member is asked to bring snack items for the dance. Download this snack list for more details – link., but here are the items to send to main campus, starting December 3rd or on the day of the dance:
Sweets or Finger Foods
Salt or Savory Snacks
Sweets or Savory/Salty Snacks
One 12 pack of any variety soda
Two 2 liters of any variety of DARK soda. No clear please
Many volunteers are needed to pull off this unique event. Please see the Sign-up Genius and sign up to help out. For additional questions, visit the Swing Dance webpage or contact Cindy Merk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Spread the word by posting flyers. Be sure to attend the Swing Dance, and bring friends! It truly is an event for all ages, and you will be supporting a great cause – Lakota West Bands.
- Our Superintendent accepted our request to have an upcoming Community Conversation focused on Band/Instrumental Music at Lakota. East staff and families will be joining us. It will take place on Tuesday 1/22 at 6:30pm at Plains Jr. RSVP here. We hope to have parents AND students participate and share their thoughts about the current state of K-12 instrumental music programming and support, and what we would like to see in the near future in order to protect and grow our music program. For example, 6th grade band was part of the 6th grade day up until the cuts in 2010. Look at any surrounding district or school, they all have this critical programming in place. Our students are at a huge disadvantage because of it. You may have other thoughts and ideas. Now is our chance to be heard! If you have any questions or comments, please email email@example.com.
Jazz ‘n Cakes Open Lead Positions/event is March 30
- Basket Lead
- Send solicitation letters for basket donations. Request donations of baskets to use in assembly from our membership. Order basket assembly supplies (bags, ribbon, grass) and begin gathering “filler’ items from garage sales, after holiday sales, dollar store. Begin going door to door for additional donations. Lead team to fill baskets, as well as bid and buy. Set up market street on day of event. Arrange for basket pickup.
- Market Street Vendor Lead
- Solicit, sign up and confirm vendors for Market Street. Arrange for the required number of tables for Market Street.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Taste for Music Dates
- Uno Dates are 12/17 (changed from 12/18), 2/19/19 and 4/16/19
- Raising Canes is 3/12/19
- Main Event is 5/7/19
- Skyline is tbd
Solo & Ensemble is Saturday February 9
- OMEA District 13 Solo & Ensemble contest for grades 9-12 is Saturday, Feb 9 at our High School. Hundreds of events occur throughout the day. For now, please consider holding a few hours open to help our students and directors that day. Signup to be posted at first of the year.
Upbeat Meeting January 17 ( no meeting in December)
All parents and guardians of band students grades 7-12 are welcome to attend! Meeting will start at 6:30pm at the MAIN CAMPUS Building in the band room. Note move to main campus for remainder of year. If you have questions for the Board or need to meet with them, they will be available at 6pm. Come out to see what is ahead and get your questions answered. For all Upbeat minutes, financial reports, budget and more, please go to our Upbeat web page here.
Calendar Highlights (use link to calendar – it is where you’ll find the most up to date information)
- Link to calendar here
- Thursday 11/29
- Lakota Jazz Festival, at East at 6pm
- Saturday 12/1
- Honor Concert Band (7-12) and Honor Jazz auditions
- Friday December 7
- Swing Dance at Main Campus Cafeteria/Jazz Club at 7:30pm – 10pm
- Tuesday December 11
- Freshman Holiday Concert at 7pm
- Monday December 17
- Taste for Music at Uno Pizzeria and Grill
- Tuesday December 18
- Main Campus Holiday Concert at 7pm
Questions? Contact email@example.com