A communication of the Lakota West Upbeat Club and Directors:
This communication covers:
- Lakota West Upbeat Club
- Shako Cleaning help needed
- Solo & Ensemble Contest
- LWBBB Monthly Meeting
- Upbeat Club Meeting
- Jazz ‘n Cakes
- Symphonic Winds at Music Hall
- Try Band
- For the Calendar
Lakota West Upbeat Club
The Upbeat Club raises significant funds and provide hundreds of hours of support, which enables the excellence we see on the stage and on the field. The funds for the marching and concert uniforms, as well as our tractor trailer, were all raised by band parents and students. Please join us in supporting our fantastic band program by volunteering, and helping with some of the tasks in advance of our biggest fundraising events!
Shako Cleaning Party! Tuesday 1/29
- Volunteer here for a fun night of shako cleaning on Tuesday, January 29th at 6:30 pm in the Band Room! That’s right, all those shakos need a wipe down and some spot cleaning. Simple job, a great chance to catch up, and the more the merrier, ALL are welcome!
- Sign up here. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090548afab2da20-shako
Solo & Ensemble Contest for all of District 13 – Saturday 2/9
- February 9 at the main campus, Lakota West will host OMEA District 13 Solo and Ensemble Contest. Hundreds of students from local schools will be here to perform for the judges and receive a rating. We need LOTS of helping hands for this event. This is one of our biggest events as far as number of volunteers. Please don’t delay and use the link below to view the different roles and sign up for the available volunteer positions. If you have any questions about solo and ensemble, please email us at email@example.com.
- Sign up here Please!
Lakota West Bands Business Boosters – Meeting Thursday 2/21 (note new date)
- The group was formed as a way for band parents who are also local business owners to support and promote the band. The LWBBB holds monthly breakfast meetings at 8 am at the First Watch Union Centre Boulevard location on the morning of our Upbeat Club meetings . For more information, contact Kevin Moorman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upbeat Club Meeting – Meeting Thursday 2/21 (note new date)
- All parents and guardians of band students grades 7-12 are welcome to attend! Meeting will start at 6:30pm at the MAIN CAMPUS Building in the band room. If you have questions for the Board or need to meet with them, they will be available at 6pm. Come out to see what is ahead and get your questions answered. For all Upbeat minutes, financial reports, budget and more, please go to our Upbeat web page here.
Jazz ‘n Cakes (Event is 3/30)
- Does your student need volunteer hours for NHS or Government? We need a few student volunteers to help with some computer work before the event. Contact email@example.com for details.
- So many people came out to support the band program at the Community Conversation. One way you can help support our band program is to get involved in our 2nd largest fundraiser, Jazz ‘n Cakes. Our next planning meeting is Monday, January 28 at 7pm in the West Main band room. This fundraiser supports not just the jazz bands, but all Lakota West bands and Colorguard. The more people, the lighter the tasks!
- We are looking to fill several key positions:
- Basket Raffle/Silent Auction: Introverts welcome! We have two experienced volunteers ready to solicit donations in person. We just need someone to lead the effort to solicit donations online, organize basket assembly, and coordinate raffle ticket sales the day of the event.
- Volunteer Leader: Are you good with multitasking and communicating with both students and parents? We need someone to train and lead volunteers on day of event.
- We also have lots of small jobs to help us make this event a success: placing yard signs, ticket sales, donation solicitation through online forms, e-mails, and in person, basket assembly, typing up program and basket descriptions and much more. For more information on these positions, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or attend our next planning meeting on January 28th.
- Don’t have time to volunteer this year? Please consider donating a gift card or basket for our fabulous basket raffle. E-mail email@example.com for information.
- A limited number of vendor tables are now available for Jazz ‘n Cakes 2019 on Saturday, March 30th. If you are interested or know a vendor who might like this opportunity, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- We are also looking for corporate sponsors for this year’s event. As a thank you for your donation, sponsors will be listed in the program, slide show and announced by the emcee during the event. Distribution of menus, business cards, coupons, flyers, etc can also be arranged. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
Symphonic Winds at Music Hall!!!
- Mark your calendars now! Symphonic Winds are back at Music Hall on April 1 performing with Mason and the Fillmore Wind Band. Should be an extraordinary concert! Ticket information to be shared soon.
Try Band a huge success!
Appx 80 students and their families came out to “Try Band’ – it was fantastic! We’re not sure who had more fun! The elementary students with their enthusiasm and excitement, the Symphonic Winds students who showed great leadership, and always look forward to this event when they can share their love and passion for music with a whole new class of Lakota kids, or the parents taking pictures of the opportunities their children might have at Lakota. Let’s continue our effort to offer band to ALL sixth graders next year, not the couple hundred that are scattered about the district. #MusicEdMatters
Check out the album of pictures our awesome band photographers captured here – http://bit.ly/2Tgvt1s.
For the Calendar (use link to calendar – it is where you’ll find the most up to date information)
- Link to calendar here
- Monday 1/28
- 7pm Jazz ‘n Cakes Planning Meeting at West band room
- Tuesday 1/29
- Shako Cleaning at 6:30pm at West band room
- Saturday 2/2
- Plains Solo & Ensemble
- Winterguard Competition in Miamisburg
- Monday 2/6
- Ensemble Recital Night from 6-8pm at West Main for grades 9-12
- Saturday 2/9
- Solo & Ensemble Contest for grades 9-12 from 8am-5pm at West Main
- Friday 2/15
- No school
- Monday 2/18
- No school
- Tuesday 2/19
- Taste for Music at Uno Pizzeria and Grill
- Thursday 2/21
- LWBBB Breakfast meeting at 8am
- Upbeat Club Meeting at 6:30pm
- March 2
- Beavercreek Jazz Festival
- Winterguard competition at Nutter Center
- West Musical weekend
- Music For All Regional Festival at Mason High School – Winds performs late afternoon
- March 4
- Main Campus Winter Concert at 7pm
- March 5
- Freshman Concert at 7pm
- March 8-9 – Large Group Contest
- Symphonic winds Friday evening sometime around 8
- Freshman bands early sat
- Concert band mid morning sat
- Symphonic band late afternoon sat
- Mr Carr will get schedule 2 weeks ahead of contest