A communication of the Lakota West Upbeat Club and Directors:
This communication covers:
- Honor Bands
- LWBBB Monthly Meeting
- Upbeat Club Meeting
- Try Band
- Community Conversation
- Jazz ‘n Cakes
- Solo & Ensemble Contest
- Congratulations to all the Honor Band Jazz and Concert Band student selected this year – WOW! We will post our congratulations on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram later this week with ALL the names, as well as try to fit them all on our Honors web page on our web site – link – Honors Web Page. Check out all the Jr High students! Lakota West is WELL represented once again this year. Thank you Directors, students and parents! Whether you have a student participating or not, the concerts are remarkable given the amount of rehearsal time. Jazz concerts are Sunday 1/13 at Kings High School at 2:30. Concert Bands concerts are Sunday 1/20 at Mason High School with Jr High starting at 2pm and the High Schools starting at 4pm.
Lakota West Bands Business Boosters – Meeting 1/17
- The group was formed as a way for band parents who are also local business owners to support and promote the band. The LWBBB holds monthly breakfast meetings at 8 am at the First Watch Union Centre Boulevard location on the morning of our Upbeat Club meetings (3rd Thursday of the month). For more information, contact Kevin Moorman at email@example.com.
Upbeat Club Meeting – Meeting 1/17
- All parents and guardians of band students grades 7-12 are welcome to attend! Meeting will start at 6:30pm at the MAIN CAMPUS Building in the band room. If you have questions for the Board or need to meet with them, they will be available at 6pm. Come out to see what is ahead and get your questions answered. For all Upbeat minutes, financial reports, budget and more, please go to our Upbeat web page here.
Try Band! – 1/26
- Try Band is back! This is an open house musical scavenger hunt! All west fifth or sixth graders are invited and will be receiving an invitation flyer from the Upbeat Club next week. The Upbeat Club has brought back the ‘Try Band’ event to expose ALL students to musical instruments in hopes to increase the enrollment in our current beginning band program, which currently starts in 7th grade, as the 6th grade after school bands are not at every school. Symphonic Winds students spend the morning working one on one with the students so they can try any and all the instruments they wish. A concert at 11:30 concludes the event. A few parents are needed to meet and greet – email Barb at firstname.lastname@example.org if you can volunteer from 9:30-12:30 at the freshman school on 1/26.
- How can you help?
- Twitter: Retweet the posts on Twitter
- Facebook: (1) Please go to our Try Band Facebook event page: [link]. (2) Click on the Share button. (3) Select Invite Friends. A list of your Facebook friends will appear. (4) Select those friends with fifth and sixth graders, or who work with fifth and sixth graders. (5) Click Send Invites. That’s all! Thanks in advance for helping us promote this wonderful event!
- Facebook: Click that you are interested or going directly on the event! If all else fails – simply share the event to your timeline!
- Posters: Have an idea on where to place a poster? email email@example.com and we’ll get it posted!
- Flyer: Print our flyer and share! Click here for flyer.
Community Conversation – 1/22, 6:30pm at Plains
- A separate email will come out later this week. Our RSVP is growing every day! Stay tuned for updates and ways to help! #musicedmatters
- Event link and RSVP
Jazz ‘n Cakes – 3/30
- Next planning meeting is Monday, January 14th, 7 pm, West Main in the Learning Lab at the end of Main Street. We need 10-12 people to make this event happen. 3-4 people cannot do all that is required. The more people, the lighter the tasks!
- We are looking to fill several key positions:
- Basket Raffle/Silent Auction: There is a Senior parent co-chair for this position as well as two experienced volunteers so you won’t be on your own. Need someone to lead the effort to solicit donations online and in person, organize basket assembly, and coordinate raffle ticket sales the day of the event.
- Ticket Sales: We need someone who is highly organized to lead the distribution of tickets to band students, collect ticket pre-sale money and coordinate sales the day of the event. Most of this job can be done from home in advance of the event. There are volunteers to help with distribution.
- Volunteer Leader: Are you good with multitasking and communicating with both students and parents? We need someone to train and lead volunteers on day of event. Would be great for two friends to tackle together.
- We also have lots of small jobs to help us make this event a success: placing yard signs, ticket sales, donation solicitation through online forms, e-mails, and in person, basket assembly, typing up program and basket descriptions and much more.
For more information on these positions, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or attend our next planning meeting on January 14th.
- Don’t have time to volunteer this year? Please consider donating a basket for our fabulous basket raffle. E-mail email@example.com for information.
- A limited number of vendor tables are now available for Jazz ‘n Cakes 2019 on Saturday, March 30th.
- If you are interested or know a vendor who might like this opportunity, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- We are also looking for corporate sponsors for this year’s event. As a thank you for your donation, sponsors will be listed in the program, slide show and announced by the emcee during the event. Distribution of menus, business cards, coupons, flyers, etc can also be arranged. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
- Donate your unwanted gifts! Did you get a gift card this year you’ll never use? Or maybe your gift came in a lovely basket you don’t know what to do with. Send them our way! Our talented raffle basket team will turn your castoffs into a fabulous array of prizes for Jazz ‘n Cakes. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information on how to donate or just bring your donations to the next Upbeat Club meeting on January 17th. Thanks for making this year’s Jazz ‘n Cakes a success!
Solo & Ensemble Contest for District 13 – 2/9
- Happy New Year! Are you ready to start on your resolutions? Maybe you want to get in shape? Maybe you want to support the band? You can do both by volunteering during the Solo and Ensemble Contest! Walk the halls of our school building (getting in shape!) and help the band at the same time. February 9 at the main campus, Lakota West will host OMEA District 13 Solo and Ensemble Contest. Hundreds of students from local schools will be here to perform for the judges and receive a rating. We need LOTS of helping hands for this event. This is one of our biggest as far as number of volunteers. Please don’t delay and use the link to view the different roles and sign up for the available volunteer positions. If you have any questions about solo and ensemble, please email us at email@example.com.
Rebecca and Todd Yoby
- Sign up here NOW Please!
Sponsorships now Available!
- Check. This. Out! Link to Sponsorships web page.
- Generous support is a vital component driving the success of the Lakota West Band music program. In order to maintain the level of excellence established by the band directors expertise, and the talent of our hardworking students, the program requires a significant number of volunteer hours and financial resources. The Lakota West Upbeat Club is a non-profit 501 (c) (3) entity charged with providing additional funds and resources to ensure the music program continues to evolve and prosper for years to come. We are looking for partners to identify a “win/win” scenario where our community continues to shine bright, and be recognized as one of the best places to live.
- Thank you Kevin Moorman and Deb Pizzuco for getting this up and running – here we go! Questions – firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the Calendar (use link to calendar – it is where you’ll find the most up to date information)
- Link to calendar here
- Sunday 1/13
- Honor Jazz Bands concert at Kings HS at 2:30pm
- Monday 1/14
- Jazz ‘n Cakes Planning meeting at 7pm at Lakota West
- Thursday 1/17
- LWBBB meeting at 8am
- Upbeat Club meeting at 6:30pm at West
- Sunday 1/20
- Honor Concert Bands concert starting at 2pm at Mason HS
- Monday 1/21
- No School
- Tuesday 1/22
- Community Conversation about band and music programming in Lakota at 6:30pm at Plains
- Saturday 1/26
- Try Band from 10-12pm at West Freshman
- Symphonic Winds rehearsal at West Freshman from 12:30pm – 3:30pm
- Saturday 2/2
- Plains Solo & Ensemble
- Winterguard Competition in Miamisburg
- Monday 2/6
- Ensemble Recital Night from 6-8pm at West Main for grades 9-12
- Saturday 2/9
- Solo & Ensemble Contest for grades 9-12 from 8am-5pm at West Main
- Friday 2/15
- No school
- Monday 2/18
- no school
- Tuesday 2/19
- Taste for Music at Uno Pizzeria and Grill