A communication of the Lakota West Band Directors and Upbeat Club:
This communication covers:
- Marching Band Commitment Form
- Open Lead Position/Board Nominations
- Taste for Music
- Jazz concert – Special Guest
- Color Guard Auditions
- Weatherwax Scholarship
- Senior Awards
- Mini Camp
- For the Calendar
Marching Band Commitment Form
Commitment form for the 2019 Marching Firebirds is due Monday April 8 to your band director. The deposit of $100 can be included or it can be added to your school fees and paid through EZPAY, and is due 5/1. FInal payment of $100 is doe by 7/1.
Open Lead Positions/Board Nominations
The Upbeat Club holds elections for Board positions in the Spring of every year. If you are interested in running for a position, please submit your name to Candi at firstname.lastname@example.org. All current board members are asking to run for their current position for the 2019-20 school-year.
Great opportunities to get involved by considering one of the current open lead positions for next year. All open positions will be assisted by the board or by the current lead to ensure a smooth transition. Please see link here to list of open positions. Questions contact email@example.com.
Taste for Music
Unos Pizzeria and Grill is hosting a Taste for Music on Tuesday April 16 from 11am – 9pm. You will need to show a coupon in order for a portion of your bill to be donated to the Lakota West Upbeat Club. Link to coupon here. Link to Facebook event here – tell us your going and share with your friends!
The Lakota West would like to invite area businesses to participate in area businesses to participate in a new sponsorship program to support Lakota West Bands. Each and every donation directly impacts the program. For more information visit the webpage or email firstname.lastname@example.org. All are due April 30.
Jazz concert – Special Guests – Blue Wisp Jazz Band
Concert featuring special performance by Cincinnati’s own Blue Wisp Big Band, and “Jazz at Dusk”. Thanks to the Cincinnati Jazz Hall of Fame’s High School Jazz programs, under the direction of Sue Brown, this concert is being sponsored by the John DeFoor Jazz Master Class series. Experience the magic and power of Cincinnati’s legendary 16-piece big band! 39 years and running! Free Admission, Suggested Donation of $5 at the door. Link to Facebook event here – tell us your going and share with your friends! Here is a flyer you can share at work, post at school or share with friends! – link to flyer. To learn more go to – http://www.bluewispbigband.com/
Color Guard Auditions
Auditions are held over two dates: April 30 and May 2. Both sessions run 6-9pm and are at the Freshman School gym. No experience required, but dance experience a plus. Auditions are open to current 8th through 11th graders. Here is a flyer you can post at your schools or share with friends! – link to flyer.
Lakota West Upbeat Club provides a scholarship to a senior in one of our concert bands each year. Bill Weatherwax was a warm and caring band dad who loved volunteering in so many different ways: from Solo & Ensemble, to Pit Crew to chairing Jazz ‘n Cakes. To honor his spirit, the Upbeat Club awards this scholarship to a senior who exemplifies the spirit of volunteerism and cheerful spirit. Applications are now being accepted. Application can be found here – link. Applications are due to Mr. Carr no later than April 26th.
Attention Seniors and Senior Parents! Please send a baby picture and a senior picture to email@example.com NO LATER THAN Sunday 4/14 please!
Anyone that can find a sixth grade band picture of the current seniors, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Marching season begins with Mini-Camp for all rookies and veterans on May 28-30 from 1-9pm at the Freshman Building. Students on own for meals 5/28 and 5/29, pizza provided on 5/30. New Parent Meeting on Thursday 5/30 at 7-8pm in Freshman Theater. Camp performance for all is at 8:30pm on 5/30.
For the Calendar
- Link to Calendar Here
- Tuesday 4/9
- 3pm – Concert Band Auditions for Horns, Baritones and Tuba
- Wednesday 4/10
- 3pm – Concert Band Auditions for Trombones, Saxaphones
- Thursday 4/11
- 3pm – Concert Band Auditions for Trumpets
- Monday 4/15
- 3pm – Concert Band Auditions/Makeups only
- Tuesday 4/16
- 11-9 – Taste for Music at Unos
- Thursday 4/18
- Blue Wisp Big Band concert at 7pm
- Friday 4/19
- No School
- Monday 4/22
- No School
- Tuesday 4/23
- 6:30pm – Winter Guard Banquet at Cornerstone UMC
- Thursday 4/25
- 6:30pm – Upbeat Meeting
- Tuesday 4/30 AND Thursday 5/02
- Color Guard Auditions from 6-9 at Freshman Gym
- Monday 5/6
- 7pm – Concert for Concert, Symphonic and Symphonic Winds including Concerto Competition winners
- Tuesday 5/7
- Taste for Music at Main Event!!
- Wednesday 5/8
- Lakota Jazz concert at East at 6pm
- Thursday 5/9
- 6:30pm Ridge Jr Spring Concert
- 7:3opm – Band Awards (recognizing seniors but all invited to attend)
- Tuesday 5/14
- 7pm – Freshman Bands Concert
- Wednesday 5/15
- 6:30pm – all 8th graders or new members play for directors. Parents may stay and learn about CHARMS and other communication tools used by Lakota West Bands.
- Thursday 5/16
- 6:30pm – Plains Jr Spring Concert
- 6:30pm – Upbeat Meeting
- Monday – Thursday, dates and times tbd
- Concert and Symphonic bands combine to form the Graduation Band that plays at graduation at the Xavier Cintas Center Friday 5/24 at 8pm. Rehearsal times tba.
- Friday 5/24
- 8pm at Xavier Cintas Center – Lakota West Graduation!
- Monday 5/27
- Appx 8-12 – Memorial Day parade
- Tuesday 5/28 through Thursday 5/30
- Mini Band Camp from 1-9pm all days at Freshman School
- 7pm on Thursday 5/30 – New Parent Meeting