Lakota West Band Night is September 8, 2017
The Marching Firebirds will celebrate the up-and-coming students in the Lakota West Bands program before and during the Lakota West home football game. This celebration — formerly known as Freshman Night — will put a welcoming spotlight on Ridge and Plains eighth graders, as well as Lakota West freshmen with:
- a before-game pizza party with current members of the Marching Firebirds,
- the honor of parading with the Marching Firebirds into the stadium before the start of the game.
- the thrill of going onto the football field with the Marching Firebirds to perform some hit tunes, and
- the fun of spending time with the Marching Firebirds in their north endzone stands.
Read below to learn about the dress code, equipment needs and schedule for 2017:
Dress Code and Equipment Needs
For rehearsals, wear a T-shirt, athletic shorts, sturdy athletic shoes and thick socks. A bottle of water, sunscreen, baseball hat and/or sunglasses are also recommended. Bring your instrument as well as a lyre and flip folder with your music.
On Friday night: Freshmen should wear the Lakota West Bands T-shirt that their parents purchased for them,as well as jeans and athletic shoes with socks. Eighth graders should wear their band polos, jeans and athletic shoes with socks. All should bring their instruments, lyres and flip folders with music.
Schedule for Thursday, September 7
Freshman (only) practice at Freshman Field from 6:30pm – 8pm. Parents are welcome to watch. See information above on what students should bring.
Schedule for Friday, September 8
- Rehearsal at Main Campus from 3:15 – 5pm for Freshman. Freshman should take activity bus from the freshman building after school to main campus
- Rehearsal at Main Campus from 4-5pm for 8th graders. 8th graders have the choice of taking bus from their Junior High or get to main campus on their own.
- At 5pm the Upbeat Club (band boosters) will host a pizza party for the eighth graders, freshmen and Marching Firebirds in the Lakota West cafeteria.
- The eighth graders, freshmen and Marching Firebirds will warm up together in the Lakota West Theater. (No parents please)
- By 6:30pm, the eighth graders, freshmen and Marching Firebirds will march to the stadium via Lakota West Drive. West Chester Police close Lakota West Drive during the band’s march to the stadium.
- Pre-game show will begin, with eighth graders and freshmen joining the Marching Firebirds for a portion of their pre-game show.
- At 7pm the football game gets under way. Upbeat Club volunteers will serve snacks and drinks to eighth graders and freshmen in the north endzone area where the Marching Firebirds’ stands are located. Eighth graders who wish to leave after the refreshment time may do so — this dismissal probably will be around 7:30pm.
- Half Time performance with Freshman
- Once the third quarter gets under way, all freshmen and remaining eighth graders will be dismissed. This dismissal will probably be around 8:30pm. For both dismissal times, band directors will escort student from the stadium back to the band room to collect their belongings. Once students leave the main band room, they will no longer be under the supervision of band directors, and may go home or re-enter the stadium to watch the end of the football game in the stands (but not with the Marching Firebirds).
- Marching Firebirds performs competition show at post-game! We hope everyone stays to watch!
- If there are thunderstorm-related concerns, as there were in 2015, it’s likely that the festivities will be moved indoors to the gym.