A Communication of the Lakota West Upbeat Club
This communication covers:
- Bands of America Northwest Regional Championships
- Marching Firebird Yard Signs Fundraiser
- Concert Uniform Update
- Lead Positions open in Upbeat Club
- Band Trips Updates
- Calendar Highlights
Bands of America Northwest Regional Championships Results
Where to begin! Lakota West traveled to Toledo for the Bands of America Northwest Regional Championships this weekend. Once settled in on Friday night, Saturday began with a 5am wake-up call to allow for a 2 hour rehearsal prior to arriving at the Toledo Glass Bowl Stadium for their preliminary performance at 1:15. In 90 degree heat and blazing sun, the Firebirds proceeded to wow the crowd and judges and were selected as one of the 10 bands to perform again in finals. Only 10 of the 27 bands competiting were selected! Their final performance was outstanding once again and Lakota west finished 9th overall. As the band parents know, the busses rolled into Lakota West about 2:30am, making for a very long day. Please thank the chaperones and pit crew that traveled with the band, they were paramount in making the day run as seemlessly as it did. We could not have done it without them! Photogrophers too! See first Toledo photo album here. Congratulations to our Marching Firebirds, your parents, directors and community could not be more proud of you! Now let’s finish what we started and get back at it!
Marching Firebird Yard Signs!
We want to blanket the WEST community for the 2017 Marching Band Season!
- Accepting orders only for a limited time so that we can use them during the marching band season
- They are 24 X 18 durable outdoor material in Lakota colors and our truck wrap design!
- Signs are $25 each, and are personalized with student’s name and section.
- Exact Cash or Checkes made out to Lakota West Upbeat Club
- Print order form here
- Orders will be collected Monday 9/25 at the evening rehearsal from 6:20 through the end of rehearsal.
- Orders will be placed Tuesday 9/26. They will be ready in a week or less.
Questions – contact Barb at email@example.com
Concert Uniform Update:
UPDATED 9/27 – This is postponed and is NOT occurring Friday 9/29.
Mrs. Scott will be in the band room Friday 9/29 during band classes with bow ties and cummerbunds. If you have the wrong color for the band you are currently in, there is no need to purchase a new set. We can swap, provided you return in good (and clean) condition your bow tie and cummerbund from last year. If you are new to concert band on main campus or need to purchase a new set, please have exact change if possible, or a check made out to Lakota West Upbeat Club, or pre-pay through Charms. The cost for both is $15. Bow ties are $5 and Cummerbunds are $10 if you do not need both.
Winds girls: Your dresses/pearls are in. They will be distributed Friday during band class. Please remember that you are responsible for having them hemmed to floor length. I do recommend that you do not wait until the last minute to take them to an alteration shop as that may incur extra charges.
Uniform Alterations are coming along. We had several garments that needed to be altered and only a few volunteers sign up to help. Students will be notified when their uniform may be picked up. Also, please take a moment and review the information located on the band website here. It has detailed information about what is required for each band and also serves as a dressing guide before the concert. Our first concert is just around the corner: October 10th!
Questions – contact Mrs. Scott at firstname.lastname@example.org
Open Commitee or Event Leader Positions
The best way to step into one of these positions is to shadow the current leader. Please consider one of the positions below and the Upbeat Club will help get you acclimated to the role and its responsibilities.
Solo & Ensemble Leader(s) – A husband and wife team has worked well for the Aarons!
Bus Chaperone Leader to shadow current Leader
Jazz ‘n Cakes Event Leader (current Leader will train)
Jazz ‘n Cakes Basket Raffle Leader (current Leader will train)
Jazz ‘n Cakes Market Vendor Leader (current Leader will train)
Tag Day Event Leader (current Leader will train)
Uno’s Advertising Sales (current Leader will train)
Questions – contact Dawn and she will put you in touch with current Leader. Dawn can be reached at email@example.com . You may also conotact the Leaders directly with any questions you have by using their Lakota West Band emails – see Contacts page for more information. If you ever have a problem using a band email, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Band Trips Updates
BOA INDIANAPOLIS – 11/10-11/12
- Parents must register their student(s) at MTC for this trip ASAP. There is an additional cost, and payment plan option. It works the same as the Orlando trip registration and payment process.
- See letter from Music Travel Consultants sent via email on 9_7_17 to those already registered for one or both trips – please read if you did not receive it because you have not registered for either trip.
- Parent Meeting is Thursday 11/2 at 7pm in the Freshman Theater.
- See web page for registration instructions, costs and itinerary.
DISNEYWORLD AND UNIVERSAL STUDIOS IN ORLANDO – 12/28-1/2
- Letter from Music Travel Consultants sent via email on 9_7_17 to those already registered for one or both trips
- See web page for FAQ and Itinerary. There are some important tips for those traveling seperately, as this is one of Disney’s busiest times of the year, especially on 12/31.
- There is still time to add your student, or take advantage of the package for your family.
- Last day to cancel is 10/29/17.
- All payments due by 12/7/17.
Upcoming Highlights from the Calendar
- Calendar – click here for link
- Friday 9/29 – Homecoming game against Lakota East (
both shows performed at postgame due to halftime homecoming activities)Correction: East will do show after Homecoming activities at halftime, West will perform at postgame.
- Friday 10/6 – Band Rehearsal at Freshman School
- Saturday 10/7 – Band Rehearsal at Freshman School from 9am – 9pm
- Tuesday 10/10 – Band Concert with all five Concert Bands at West starting at 6:30pm
- Wednesday 10/11 – Taste for Music at Rusty Bucket, Liberty Town Center
- Friday 10/13 – Senior Night/Football Game
- Saturday 10/14 – Buckeye Invitational
- Thursday 10/19 – DIrectors’ update and Upbeat meeting starting at 6:30pm
- Thursday 11/2 – Parent meeting at 7pm for Indianapolis trip