A Communication of the Lakota West Upbeat Club
This communication covers:
- Buckeye Invitational Results/State FInals
- Parking Reminder
- BOA Grand Nationals
- Jag’s Lakota West Band Night
- Current Upbeat Activity Leader Positions open
- Uno’s Doughraiser
- Disney World Parade/Orlando Trip
- Calendar Highlights
Buckeye Invitational Results/State Finals
What a fantastic evening seeing the band perform in the OSU Stadium! New color guard uniforms, new flags, an awesome drum feature, and a closure sure to make you stand up and cheer! What a spectacular show! There were more than 40 bands competing! Lakota West came in a close third (OMEA does not allow posting of scores), second in music and tied for second in percussion! Outstanding! The band also qualified for OMEA State Finals. We will compete in OMEA State Finals on Sunday 11/5 in Dayton, time tba.
Due to the size of the band and large number of parent drivers, we need to pay special attention to the parking situation at West Main Campus before and after events and rehearsals. At the conclusion of an event or rehearsal,please only park in designated parking spots. Do NOT park along the curb when picking up, or near where our trucks need to park. Please park and walk to the school to retrieve your student, or let them know where you are parked. Our trucks cannot get in and out easily to load and unload, and the front ensemble is bringing a large number of instruments to and from the stadium. It has created a dangerous area for students due to all the cars parked and pulling out from no-parking areas.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Lakota West Upbeat Club
Bands of America Grand Nationals, Indianapolis Trip 11/10-12
- This is the first trip to Bands of America Grand Nationals for any Lakota Band!
- All information is current and up to date on our Indy Trip Page here – Indy Trip Page.
- Final payment due to MTC by 10/24. All parents should have received final invoice through email from MTC.
- Medication drop-off will be 11/2 from 6-7pm, Freshman School. Medication letter available on Indy web page.
- Parent Meeting for trip is 11/2 at 7pm, Freshman School Theater. Travel Consultant will be attending.
- Here is an article about the experience our students and staff will have at our first Grand Nationals! See link here for article.
- Parents – you do NOT have to call in your student’s absence on Friday 11/11 to the office at West. Mr. Carr has handled this with the office staff.
Jag’s Lakota West Band Night 11/4
Jag’s Steak & Seafood/Piano Bar is celebrating their new menu and renovation by hosting ChariTABLE Reveal Days and have schosen four organizations to support, one of which is Lakota West Bands! Lakota West Band Night is 11/4 At Jag’s from 5pm – 10pm. A portion of all food sales between 5-10 pm will be donated to our Upbeat Club to offset trip costs for Orlando. See web page for exciting details, or visit their Facebook page. Reservations are recommended.
Current Upbeat Activity Leader Position Openings:
The Upbeat Club works hard to make the transition to new Activity Leaders go smoothly from year to year. For that reason, you will often see a need for a new Leader to shadow the current Leader for the first year. For current (and urgent) Activity Leader openings for 2017-18, see below:
Solo & Ensemble Leader(s) (to shadow current leaders)
Solo & Ensemble Concession Leader (to shadow current leader)
Bus Chaperone Leader (to shadow current leader)
Jazz ‘n Cakes Event Leader (current leader will train)
Jazz ‘n Cakes Basket Raffle Leader (current leader will train)
Jazz ‘n Cakes Market Vendor Leader (current leader will train)
Mattress Sale Leader (current leader will train)
Concert Uniforms (to shadow current leader)
Spiritwear for 2018-19 (to shadow current leader)
Uno’s Dough Raiser is Sunday 11/19
Uno’s is one of our biggest fundraisers and is truly a lot of fun for those that get involved. See sign-up opportunities here.
If you can help make tip jars (lots of them) for this event, please contact Dawn at email@example.com.
For those who didn’t pay for Uno’s tickets when they were distributed, money and any unused tickets are due Thursday, November 2nd. Students can bring to class, to evening rehearsal, or parent can bring to parent meeting for Indy Trip that evening. Families can purchase additional tickets, look for more information online soon. Parents, please consider attending Uno’s mid-day, as this is the best time to avoid lines.
Please email Jennifer at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Disney World Parade/Orlando Trip 12/28-1/2
- Updated Info on Web Page
- Last day to join the trip or cancel your plans to attend, is Sunday 10/29.
- Parent Meeting for trip is 12/18 at 6pm, location tbd. Travel Consultant will be attending.
- Final payment due to MTC by 12/7.
- Celina Woods would like to offer a resource for families traveling with children with special needs. She has a book entitled Mouse Ears for Everyone. Contact Celina if you are interested at 505-0488.
Upcoming Highlights from the Calendar
- Calendar – click here for link
- Friday 10/27 – Last Home Football Game! Yay! Our competition show performed at halftime! (Trumpets and Sousas have refreshments this week)
- Saturday 10/28 – Centerville Invitational (Mid-States Band Competition), see calendar for performance schedule. Lakota West performs at 8:30pm.
- Monday 10/30
- Uno’s planning meeting at Uno’s at 6pm
- Band’oWeen – costumes welcome at evening rehearsal (as long as they don’t interfere with marching)
- Thursday 11/2
- Payment or return of Uno’s tickets distributed to each band student, is due
- Medication drop-off is 6-7pm at Freshman Theater
- Parent meeting at 7pm for Indianapolis trip at Freshman Theater
- Thursday 11/2 – Plains Jr Concert at 6:30pm
- Saturday 11/4
- Mid States Band Championships in Mason – see calendar for performance schedule. Lakota West performs at 4pm.
- Jag’s Lakota West Band Night from 5-10pm
- Sunday 11/5 – OMEA State Contest in Dayton (Centerville), time tbd
- Friday-Saturday 11/10-11/12 – Bands of America Grand Nationals!!
- Tuesday 11/14 – Marching Band Concert and Awards, 7pm in Gym
- Wednesday 11/15 – Winter Guard Auditions at 6-9pm at Cornerstone Church. Unfamiliar with Winter Guard? see link
- Monday 12/18 – Orlando Trip Parent Meeting at 6pm, location tbd
- Thursday 12/28 – Depart for Disney World New Years Eve Parade Trip!