A communication of the Lakota West Upbeat Club and Directors:
This communication covers:
- Winds Performing Opportunity
- Community Conversation
- Jazz ‘n Cakes
- Swing Dance
- Upbeat Meeting
- Taste for Music
Symphonic Winds Ensemble Performance Opportunity is Saturday 12/8
Hello all Winds students & families. An opportunity for Winds students to perform in public as been offered to us. Heritage Village is a history museum inside Sharon Woods. The weekend of December 8-9 is their Holly Days event. They are in need of music groups who can perform 15-30 minute sets of holiday music at two location inside the museum. The volunteer coordinator is a Lakota West Band Alumni and agreed to provide documentation for volunteer hours for the entire time you are there. There is also food afterwards at the volunteer appreciation get together, discount tickets for parents who would like to come, and any documentation necessary for public performances that you can hand in to Mr. Carr.
Please assemble your ensembles or come as a soloist if you’d like. The only requirement is the 15-30 minutes of holiday music and wearing your Winds tux or dress is preferred, but not mandatory. When you fill out your spot on the Sign Up Genius (see link below), put the name of the one person in your ensemble in the slots available. If you can perform 30 minutes straight, take two adjacent slots. If you’d like to perform twice (or more), just fill in as many slots as you’d like. Please remember that signing up commits you to that time you’ve promised, the Village and guest are counting on you!
Please provide a valid email address with your sign up so we can sent you event details in the next week. Thank you so much for your participation, in volunteering your time to Heritage Village you are doing a great thing! Happy Holidays and we hope to see you there! Questions! Please contact Holly Christopher. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sign Up Genius Link https://www.signupgenius.com/
Community Conversation is January 22
- Our Superintendent accepted our request to have an upcoming Community Conversation focused on Band/Instrumental Music at Lakota. East staff and families will be joining us. It will take place on Tuesday 1/22 at 6:30pm at Plains Jr. RSVP here. We hope to have parents AND students participate and share their thoughts about the current state of K-12 instrumental music programming and support, and what we would like to see in the near future in order to protect and grow our music program. For example, 6th grade band was part of the 6th grade day up until the cuts in 2010. Look at any surrounding district or school, they all have this critical programming in place. Our students are at a huge disadvantage because of it. You may have other thoughts and ideas. Now is our chance to be heard! If you have any questions or comments, please email email@example.com.
- Some parents will be meeting over break to work together to maximize the impact we could make with this opportunity. If you would like to be a part of this planning session, and would be willing to put some work in to help us present our case to the district, please email Barb at firstname.lastname@example.org so you can be included.
Jazz ‘n Cakes/Event is March 30
- Planning Meetings have started!
- Be a part of this year’s Jazz ‘n Cakes event crew! We’re looking for volunteers to help plan this year’s Jazz ‘n Cakes on Saturday, March 30th . Jazz ‘n Cakes is the band’s second largest fundraiser and proceeds support not just jazz band, but all concert bands, marching band, and colorguard. Get involved in the overall event planning, or you can lead or join a team to coordinate ticket sales, advertising, the basket raffle, or coordinate day-of-event activities. Our first meeting will be Wednesday, January 2nd at the West Chester MidPointe Library in room C at 7 pm. We always have a great group of fun band parents (and grandparents) and would love to have you join us.
- Basket Lead Position Open
- Send solicitation letters for basket donations. Request donations of baskets to use in assembly from our membership. Order basket assembly supplies (bags, ribbon, grass) and begin gathering “filler’ items from garage sales, after holiday sales, dollar store. Begin going door to door for additional donations. Lead team to fill baskets, as well as bid and buy. Set up market street on day of event. Arrange for basket pickup.
- Market Street Vendor Lead Position Open
- Solicit, sign up and confirm vendors for Market Street. Arrange for the required number of tables for Market Street.
- Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
Swing Dance is December 7
The Lakota West Swing Dance is Friday, December 7, from 7:30 to 10! This event raises funds for all concert, jazz, and marching bands as well as color guard, and each band member is asked to bring snack items for the dance. Download this snack list for more details – link., but here are the items to send to main campus, starting December 3rd or on the day of the dance:
Sweets or Finger Foods
Salt or Savory Snacks
Sweets or Savory/Salty Snacks
One 12 pack of any variety soda
Two 2 liters of any variety of DARK soda. No clear please
Many volunteers are needed to pull off this unique event. Please see the Sign-up Genius and sign up to help out. For additional questions, visit the Swing Dance webpage or contact Cindy Merk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Spread the word by posting flyers, or share on Facebook or twitter. Be sure to attend the Swing Dance, and bring friends! It truly is an event for all ages, and you will be supporting a great cause – Lakota West Bands.
Upbeat Meeting is January 17 ( no meeting in December)
All parents and guardians of band students grades 7-12 are welcome to attend! Meeting will start at 6:30pm at the MAIN CAMPUS Building in the band room. Note move to main campus for remainder of year. If you have questions for the Board or need to meet with them, they will be available at 6pm. Come out to see what is ahead and get your questions answered. For all Upbeat minutes, financial reports, budget and more, please go to our Upbeat web page here.
Taste for Music Fund Raisers
For the Calendar:
- Friday December 7
- Swing Dance at Main Campus Cafeteria/Jazz Club at 7:30pm – 10pm
- Tuesday December 11
- Freshman Holiday Concert at 7pm
- Monday December 17
- Taste for Music at Uno Pizzeria and Grill
- Tuesday December 18
- Main Campus Holiday Concert at 7p
- Wednesday January 2
- Jazz ‘n Cakes Planning Meeting at Library at 7pm
- Friday January 4 – Sunday January 6
- Honor Jazz Band Weekend
- Thursday January 16
- LWBBB Breaksfast meeting at First Watch at 8am
- Upbeat Club meeting at 6:30pm, main campus
- Friday January 18 – Sunday January 20
- Honor Concert Band Weekend
- Tuesday January 22
- Community Conversation about Lakota Band Program K-12 at Plains Jr at 6:30pm
- Saturday January 26
- Try Band held at the Freshman Building from 10am – 12pm
Questions? Contact email@example.com