A communication of the Lakota West Upbeat Club and Directors:
This communication covers:
- Main Event Fundraiser
- Upbeat Club Meeting
- Try Band
- Solo & Ensemble Contest
- Jazz ‘n Cakes
- Calendar Highlights
Main Event Fundraiser 1/14/20
- Join us at the Main Event on Tuesday January 14 from 4-9pm! Games, Lazer-Tag, Bowling, and so much more! Submit your receipt to have 20% donated to Lakota West Bands! Click on graphic to see what all there is to do and play!
- Print and share flyer here – http://bit.ly/2ZX6uUT
Upbeat Club Meeting 1/16/20
- Next meeting is Thursday 1/16 at West Main Campus band room. All parents and guardians of band students grades 7-12 are welcome to attend! Meeting will start at 6:30pm, will include an update from the directors, and run appx one hour. The Upbeat executive board will be on hand at 6pm for any questions. Come out to see what is ahead and get your questions answered. For all Upbeat minutes, financial reports, budget and more, please go to our Upbeat web page here.
Try Band – 1/25/20
- Try Band is back! This is an open house/musical scavenger hunt! All west fifth or sixth graders are invited and will be receiving an invitation flyer from the Upbeat Club in the coming weeks. The Upbeat Club hosts the ‘Try Band’ event to expose ALL students to musical instruments in hopes to increase the enrollment in our current beginning band program, which currently starts in 7th grade, as the 6th grade after school band clubs are not at every school. Symphonic Winds students spend the morning working one on one with the students so they can try any and all the instruments they wish to try. A concert at 11:30 concludes the event. A few parents are needed to meet and greet – email Barb at firstname.lastname@example.org if you can volunteer from 9:30-12:30 at the freshman school on 1/25.
- How can you help?
- Facebook: Please go to our Try Band Facebook event page: [link]. Click on the Share button. Select Invite Friends. A list of your Facebook friends will appear. Select those friends with fifth and sixth graders, or who work with fifth and sixth graders. Click Send Invites. That’s all! Thanks in advance for helping us promote this wonderful event!
- Facebook: Click that you are interested or going directly on the event! If all else fails – simply share the event to your timeline!
- Posters: Have an idea on where to place a poster? email email@example.com and we’ll get it posted!
- Flyer: Print our flyer and share!
- Retweet once it is posted on Twitter.
Solo & Ensemble Contest 2/8/20
On Saturday, February 8, 2020 Lakota West will host OMEA District 13 Solo and Ensemble Contest. Hundreds of students from local schools will perform solo or as part of an ensemble for a judge and receive a rating. We will have more than 1000 individual performances on approximately 20 stages, hosting more than 4000 visitors in our school during this day. We need LOTS of helping hands for this event! Available positions range from selling concessions to helping inside or outside the performance stages to assisting in the office. Use the link below to view the information about the different roles and sign up for the available volunteer positions. If you have any questions about solo and ensemble, please email them to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click here to sign up for Solo & Ensemble volunteer positions
- If you still need to find an accompanist for a solo – check out the list we added at the bottom of the private lesson teacher list here – https://lakotawestbands.org/private-lessons/
Jazz ‘n Cakes 3/28/20
- Next planning meeting is Wednesday, January 8th, 6:30pm, Freshman Campus Band Room. Please come join us! The more people, the lighter the tasks!
- We have split the event into 7 sub-groups with leads for each (Kitchen, Dining Room, Market Street Vendors, Basket Raffle/Silent Auction, Volunteer Coordinator, Tickets, Marketing). Join a sub-group that interests you!
- We also have lots of small jobs to help us make this event a success: placing yard signs, ticket sales, donation solicitation (online, e-mails, and in person), basket assembly, typing up programs and much more. For more information, please e-mail pancake@
lakotawestbands.org or attend our next planning meeting.
- Don’t have time to volunteer this year? Please consider donating a basket for our fabulous basket raffle, or any unwanted gifts/gift cards! Did you get a gift card this year you’ll never use? Or maybe a gift you don’t know what to do with? Send them our way! Our talented raffle basket team will turn your castoffs into a fabulous array of prizes for Jazz ‘n Cakes. Contact market@
lakotawestbands.org for information on how to donate or just bring your donations to the next Upbeat Club meeting on January 16th.
- A limited number of vendor tables are now available for Jazz ‘n Cakes 2020. If you are interested or know a vendor who might like this opportunity, please contact vendors@
lakotawestbands.org for details.
- Link to Calendar Here
- Wednesday January 8
- Jazz ‘n Cakes Planning Meeting at WF at 6:30pm
- Sunday January 12
- District 13 Honor Jazz Band Concerts at Kings HS at 2:30pm
- Tuesday January 14
- Main Event Fundraiser from 4-9pm
- Thursday January 16
- Upbeat Club Meeting at 6:30pm at West Main
- Sunday January 19
- District 13 Honor Band Concerts starting at 2pm with Jr High, and 4pm for High School. At Mason High School.
- Thursday January 23
- Symphonic Winds Concert at University of Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music, Corbett Auditorium – Time tba. Link to address and directions.
- Saturday January 25
- Try Band at West Freshman from 10am – 12pm
- Monday January 27
- Symphonic Winds Concert (with Lakota East and Fairfield) at Miami University, Hall Auditorium – Time tba. Link to address and directions.
- Saturday February 1
- Symphonic Winds performance at the OMEA Professional Conference at Duke Energy Center at 11am
- Winter Guard Competition in Miamisburg for JV and V – https://www.mepa-circuit.org/events/24654
- Tuesday February 4
- Solo & Ensemble Recital from 6-8pm at West Main campus. All ensembles grades 9-12 to perform and receive judge’ feedback. Not suitable for visitors.
- Thursday February 6
- Ridge Jr Winter Concert at 6:30pm
- Saturday February 8
- Solo & Ensemble Contest for District 13 Schools at West Main from 8am-5pm.
- Friday February 14 through Monday February 17
- No School
- Thursday February 20
- Upbeat Club Meeting at 6:30pm at West Main
- Saturday February 22
- Plains Jr Solo & Ensemble Contest
- Winter Guard Competition at Bellbrook HS for Jv and V – https://www.mepa-circuit.org/events/24669
- Thursday February 27
- Plains Jr Winter Concert at 6:30pm
- Friday February 28 through Saturday February 29
- Beavercreek Jazz Festival – https://www.weekendofjazz.org/