We have so much talent at Lakota West! We are so happy to celebrate the accomplishments of our students – collectively and individually.
OMEA – Solo & Ensemble Contest, Honor Band, and All-State
Students are encouraged to audition for the OMEA honor band and honor jazz weekends as well as the All-State Orchestra, Band, and Jazz Bands.
OMEA All State:
The all state application is submitted by the student via the OMEA website. All-State ensembles are a wonderful joy for the students, and a great experience for everyone involved. Deadline for submission is the end of May.
OMEA Honor Band and Honor Jazz Band Weekends:
Honor band auditions for our district are held in early December. Honor Band weekends are typically in mid-January. Honor Concert Band is on the weekend before the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday and Honor Jazz Band weekend is one week earlier. Students qualifying for either band will participate in an all day practice on Saturday, some also have an evening practice on Friday. All concerts are held on Sunday afternoon. Information about the auditions is shared by the directors in class.
Solo & Ensemble (Grades 9-12):
- Location: Lakota West High School
- Date: Varies annually, typically at the end of January or early February. Information is shared in class by directors.
- All band members will be part of an ensemble at contest
- All band members are invited to also enter a solo at contest
Local/Regional Ensembles plus Workshops and Summer Camps
There are wonderful opportunities available for students to audition and participate in local ensembles through our symphony orchestra, UC’s College Conservatory of Music, and many others. Information about auditions is available through each organization’s website.
- BGSU Double Reed Camp
- The Breakdown Camp
- Butler Philharmonic Youth Orchestra
- Cincinnati Symphony Youth Orchestra
- Cincinnati Youth Wind Ensemble
- Jr Cincinnati Youth Wind Ensemble
- College Conservatory of Music (summer)
- Dayton Philharmonic Youth Orchestra
- Indiana University Jacobs School of Music
- Interlochen (Michigan) Summer Arts Camps
- Jamey Aebersold Summer Jazz Workshops
- Miami Valley Summer Jazz Camp – Dayton Jazz Orchestra
- Music For All Honor Ensembles
- Music For All Summer Symposium
- Northern Kentucky Youth Symphony Orchestra
- Ohio Bocal Majority Bassoon Camp and Operation O.B.O.E Camp
- Ohio State University School of Music Summer Programs
- Tri-State Ensembles
- WGI – Winds
- Young Americans Summer Camp